Thursday, July 10, 2014

Femininity Friday: Sexy Modest Outfits

Good morning! Welcome to another Femininity Friday. This is the day of the week when we discuss issues specific to being a woman. Topics range from health and fitness to femininity and feminism. Today we are going to do things a little differently. Today I want to discuss modesty and what that word really means.  

I was on Pinterest a couple of nights ago and I couldn't believe some of the things that come up when you search for modest clothing. Just because someone is selling something as modest does not mean that the article is in fact, modest. When I searched for modest outfits the picture to the right is what came up... sexy modest outfits. 

WHAT?!?

Having an outfit that is "sexy" is kind of contradictory to the very definition of modesty. The definition of modesty that I found says that modesty is, "unassuming or moderate in the estimation of one's abilities or achievements." When you apply that to physical characteristics, meaning if someone is "being modest" that would mean that you would NOT want t to appear sexy... right? And yet there are a TON on picture on ointerest for "sexy modest outfits". This leads me to believe that Christian women want to be modest but the also want to be attractive. 

And that my friends is where I believe the problem can be found. Looking at the afforementioned picture, I don't think that there is anything wrong with those outfits. They may be a little bit tight, but aside from that those are outfits I would wear. I chose that picture because I did not want to post any of the immodest images in my little corner of the internet. My issue is with the thought behind "sexy modest outfits" rather than with those actual outfits. 

Women today have been snowed in my opinion. We have been told over and over again by television, movies, music, magazines, and the rest of society that what makes you attractive is sex appeal. Let me tell you, that is SO false! Sex appeal is nothing, that fades with time. What is truly attractive in a woman is what is on the inside. 1 Peter 3:3-4 says: "Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." Does this mean that you need to be frumpy and ugly? NO! You can be the beautiful, fun, quirky and awesome person that God made you to be. What I believe the Bible is saying here is don't focus everything you have on your looks. 

I have a great group of ladies that I consider to be my adoptive parents (one of them is actually my mother-in-law!) that provide me with wise counsel. When we talked about this verse one of them said something that I have never forgotten, to this day. She said, "I know girls who will spend over an hour getting ready to go to church, in case they meet a cute boy there. I want to ask them, how much time did you spend in the Word preparing your heart for meeting with the Man who gave up His life for you?" That really stuck with me. 

I have long curly hair. It takes me about an hour and a half to wash, condition, blow dry, straighten, style, and apply make-up. If I did that every single day of the week I am losing 10.5 hours of my life each week. Compare that to the 30 minutes I spend each day doing quiet time. So the world gets 10.5 hours of my life a week for my appearance but God only gets 3.5 hours a week for the development of my soul? 

Ouch.       

So today I want to encourage you to take a look at the time that you spend on the physical and the time you spend with God's word. Are you trying to fit in to the world's version of "sexy modesty" or are you dedicated to meeting God's standard of beauty? 

You can read more about my thoughts on modesty here

Are you looking to link up? If so, you should check out all the places I link up.
You can find them here!

6 comments:

  1. The line about preparing one's heart over one's body ... so convicting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make sure all of my girls read this one! Thank you so much... and thank you for sharing it with the Faith Hacks Link Up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said, I really like how you put it out there. I wish every girl would stop and think (or maybe read your post) and reflect on their priorities.
    Happy not so Wordless Wednesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said and a great reminder! "Sexy Modest" it's almost scary... but I love what your lady friends said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really sad that those two words are put together. Quite the oxymoron! Thanks for pointing out what is really important and sharing it on the Art of Home-Making Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing, you have been featured on the Girls of Grace Link Up! Excellent article, I will be sharing with my daughters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan