Sunday, August 26, 2012

Modesty Part 1

"Nothing can atone for the lack of modesty; without which beauty is ungraceful and wit detestable." I love this quote by Richard Steele so much.  I had a bit of a revelation this weekend, so I thought I would share my thoughts on the subject of modesty. I know that every Christian women's blog focuses on modesty at least once, and I know a great many people tire of hearing about this subject but after this weekend I finally understand why it is such a big deal. I have a very dear friend who spoke honestly with me this weekend about modesty and the role it plays in lust. Through this conversation I came to understand why modesty is important. 

Let me begin this by saying openly that I don't have the greatest track record with modesty. Prior to accepting Christ as my savior, I had no true understanding of modesty. I knew that there were times not to wear short skirts, and that is about it. I had more than my fair share of cleavage bearing shirts. I also served tables at a restaurant that openly encouraged as little clothing as possible while still complying to the safety regulations. I made money off of being immodest. I say this so that you understand that this is not a judgmental post, this is one Christian woman wanting to warn other Christian women about the pitfalls that we can create for ourselves and others with our clothing.

So, why be modest?

1 Corinthians 6: 19-20 says, " Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." Christ paid the ultimate price for our salvation. He has redeemed us from our sinful nature and he is our bridge to God over sin. I have a great team member who described it as we are God's ambassadors for non-belivers. We have the privalege and responsibility of sharing the word of God. How best to demonstrate the honor and amazing grace that we have been given that to honor and respect the body Christ died for? I had no understanding of the value of my body prior to accepting Christ as my savior. I look back and I regret many of my choices. I have thrown away a great many pictures because I now understand the price Christ payed for me. I am not ashamed of my past, I did what I to do to make ends meet. But I am humbled by Christ's forgiveness of my lack of respect for my own body. If I could go back, and do it again... I would. 

Proverbs 11:22 says, "Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion. I was a gold ring in a pig's snout. Not only didn't I show modesty and discretion in my clothing but my language and my actions as well. I was a bartender and waitress at a grill and bar where we were encouraged to "flirt" with the customers.  I would carefully apply my makeup and straighten my hair before each shift, and practice my smile and the nicest way to say "Im not interested" to a customer and still get tips.  But, innuendo and "witty" banter were my strong-suit. I have a sharp tongue and a quick mind, the two can be deadly. Once I accepted Christ I had to active curb my tongue and watch the things that I say. It was very difficult to get control of this particular vice, and it is a daily struggle. 

Matthew 5:28 says, "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." This is often something that is said to men but ladies, I think we need to be held accountable for our part in this area too. What are we doing that causes men to lust? Am I dressing in a way that is going to cause a brother in Christ to stumble?  This is a brand new thought for me, but it has made me reevaluate my entire wardrobe. I have always thought of modesty as a means of controlling women (feminists love to throw that subject around). But, after speaking with this friend, his parents and some of my team members I believe that modesty is crucial for all women so that we can help our brothers in Christ. Please hear me, I am not saying that women cause men to sin. Everyone makes their own choice when it comes to sin. What I am saying is what can we do to alleviate some of the temptation in a world where sex is literally a click away? 


I feel very strongly about the issue of modesty. Feminism taught me that my body is nothing to be ashamed of. Not only that, it is something to be celebrated. Don't hide it away, men only tell you to do that to keep women in their place. In part they were right. Our bodies are incredible and should be celebrated... in the bond of holy matrimony with one husband, period. The rest of it feminism had wrong. Modesty is something that we can control. It is something that sets Christians apart from a world in which sex permeates everyday life. it is something that we can do to help our brothers in Christ to be the men of God they strive to become. It is also something that we do to demonstrate our understanding of the magnitude of the Christ's sacrifice for our souls. 

This post is already really long and I have a great number of thoughts on this particular subject so I think I will dedicate the next one (maybe two!) posts to the subject of modesty as God places it on my heart.


















5 comments:

  1. You will be a great role model for the children you teach. Thanks for sharing these wise words on this subject. Wish more young girls could hear and grasp this concept and the implications both ways.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Morgan!
    Our dress styles should be different from the world's. Our body should be held in reverence, since The Almighty dwells in us.
    Visiting from Monday Meet Up.
    Have a super blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter posts about this as well. Good for you for making changes and being honest about your journey! Praying the message reaches many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I am helping teach a high school girl's Sunday School class, and I am definitely going to be sharing these with them. Thanks for the level-headed perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is this is so refreshing and wonderful to read. So much of what is thrown at us these days is from people who don't love God or would care to. I was raised to have modesty, and I have held onto that as an adult. Thank you very much for your inspiring article.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan