Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Debating Christian Politics

The Presidential Debates are all anyone was talking about last night. I will admit, despite the fact that I should have been studying, I sat and watched the entire thing. While I watched the debate, I left my computer open and watched my facebook, twitter, and google reader fill with posts about the debate, some were positive but most were negative. I watched on these social media websites as Christians tore each other apart and cut each other down. I don't care if you are a democrat or a republican, this in my opinion is unacceptable behavior. 

Let me be clear, I am not saying that Christians should belong to one party or another. And I am not saying that Christians need to stay out of politics. I believe the exact opposite actually. I think Christians should be involved in politics, but we have to stay out of the mudslinging! Instead, I think we need to reflect on  2 Timothy 2: 23-26 which says, "Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will."  If you are throwing a temper tantrum online or posting malicious things, what kind of witness are you being for the kingdom of Christ? So, when you are posting about the debates (or anything really) ask yourself: am I being quarrelsome? Am I being kind to everyone? Am I gently instructing? If not, reconsider your post. It is one thing to have an opinion, it is another thing entirely to be argumentative and rude.  It is our job to represent the Lord well. We are called to be a witness to the lost.

I want to take a minute to reflect on how blessed we are. What a wonderful time we live in when we are able to watch the Presidential candidates discuss major issues and policies. I am so glad that people (especially Christians!) are taking an interest in the Presidential Election. The right to vote is an incredible privilege that should not be taken for granted. Focus on the Family has a great broadcast on this issue that can be found HERE. Inform yourself, read, ask questions! If you are looking for a voter guide, I use the Christian Voter Guide which can be found HERE. It has a lot of helpful links and is available in Spanish as well. If you would like to watch clips of the debate they can be found HERE.


 Remember Election Day is just 3 weeks away!

5 comments:

  1. I kind of/sort of have a facebook...but I was watching the debate while editing photos as fast as I could (to meet a deadline) and I didn't see all of that...but I for sure know what you're talking about!!! I personally think that Christians NEED to stand up and get their voices heard BY VOTING! One thing that has been talked about recently in my circles is the fact that although some candidates on the ballot may seem better than Obama or Romney there seems to be little point in voting for a lesser man when it's extremely unlikely that he will gain enough ground to beat out either of the two I just named. This vote that is coming up is really about the top Democrat vs. the top Republican. Sorry...I will save this little rant for my own blog... :) :) I do agree that Christians need to be voting and they need to be careful in what they say to each other. I don't care if a person is for one man or the other...that makes no difference to me. All that matters is that people vote and that it's for one man or the other.

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed the debates, but I saw lots on the feeds. I have become accostomed to knowing what party most people support just by the hatred and vitriol they spew against the other party - never waiving vitriol. And what saddens me the most is that because a lot of people are uniformed, they don't realize how close both parties are.

    Stopping by from Blog Hop til You Dorp. Come by sometime" 100lb Countdown

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sad when children of God bite and devour each other. James has a lot to say about how we bless God and curse man with the same tongue. The ability to be passionate about our convictions yet winsome and respectful seems rare. May God all help us to be "slow to speak, quick to hear, and slow to anger." Visiting from Be Not Weary today and glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is especially important that we remain kind and gentle: "but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect..." 1 Peter 3: 15
    Thank you for voicing my feelings, and I think, that of many others! May God be glorified above all else!
    "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turns it wherever he will." Proverbs 12: 1
    You are a gracious lady!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan