Thursday, October 11, 2012

The International Day of the Girl Child


I received an email today from a reader. Since my blog is titled The Forgiven Former Feminist she wanted to know my views on  International Day of the Girl Child (which is today).

Before I address my views lets discuss what exactly this day is about.



The United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution in 2011 to establish October 11th as the International Day of the Girl Child. The term “girl child” is commonly used abroad to distinguish the unique challenges faced by those under age 18 from those faced by women. According to the U.N., this annual girls’ rights Day will: “help galvanize worldwide enthusiasm for goals to better girls’ lives, providing an opportunity for them to show leadership and reach their full potential.”

More information about the  Day of the Girl Child can be found here.

I am absolutely an advocate for the victims of many of the issues brought to light by the Day of the Girl Child such as: media portrayal of women, sex trafficking, child marriage, and female mutilation. These are all issues (a complete list can be found here) that we as Christian women should be aware of, praying for, and working on as God places on our hearts.

I am absolutely against this becoming a feminist day in which we try to further increase the "Girl Power" mantra that is becoming ever popular. There is a very clear difference between fighting for the injustices forced on children (female or otherwise) and screeching about girls and boys being treated equally. Psalm 139:13-16 says, "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you,when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them." Each and every child is a miracle that deserves to be treasured, regardless of gender. This day is not a question of the glass ceiling or "Girl Power" my prayer is that this day will help people to talk openly about these issues without them being clouded by feminist dogma.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post; I had never heard of this day before. I also love the scripture passage you included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this informative post. Great clarification at the end.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan